What is kinesiology?
So what is this Kinesiology business?
Well I'm glad you asked...
Kin-easy-ology, easy to say when you know how but looks a bit tricky for newbies.
Straight off the bat it is not and has nothing to do with Kinesiology Tape. Just so we are clear. Sticking a bit of tape on the outside of the body in no way represents the breadth and depth of what and how a Specialised Kinesiologist can support your health and wellbeing. Now that I have that off my chest let’s look at what it actually IS.
So back to what is Kin-easy-ology. Kinesiology is a system of healthcare that emphasises health maintenance, client education and client responsibility. It works to identify the underlying causes influencing health imbalances and works towards removing and rebalancing energy blockages and providing education and insight for clients to better manage the influences on their body, mind and spirit.
The evolution of Kinesiology
- Kinesiology is based on a simplified form of the Chinese acupuncture meridian system which was first documented in the 14th Century and still practiced today as an individual modality. It utilises assessment and correction of imbalances in meridians and their associated organs and tissues can return the body to a higher state of wellness.
- Applied Kinesiology was founded by Dr George J Goodheart, DC in the 1960’s who developed the modality to compliment his Chiropractic practice as a diagnostic and balancing tool.
- Dr John F Thie, DC, developed Touch for Health which was released as a modality in the 1970’s which has been accepted worldwide as a standalone modality and one which can also be easily incorporated by other health care professionals.
- Dr Bruce Dewe MD, researched and further developed the concept of Kinesiology into a specialised kinesiology modality called Professional Kinesiology Practitioner (PKP) in the 1980’s. PKP draws together all the work and systems of Applied Kinesiology and expands it to the most holistic of all natural therapies and focuses on bringing the body back into balance to allow its own innate healing ability to best care for itself.
Dr Dewe researched and documented over 300 finger modes which relate to balancing techniques that are utilised in a balance like a menu board using muscle testing to navigate what each individual needs. He also researched and added over 100 more muscles into the realm of Kinesiology including muscles acting on the shoulder, hip and upper and lower limbs.
A study conducted by Dr Susan Eardley at the University of South Hampton in the UK showed that PKP Kineisology is as effective if not more effective than Massage, Physiotherapy or Chiropractics for reducing pain.
It’s been reported that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. Do you feel like that with your health care? If you are going to a practitioner every month for the same thing, putting the same things back in place, taking the same medications – or increasing medications – and seeing no long term improvements; are you moving any closer to your Best Self and your wellness goals? Or are you just existing and just keeping the wheels on?
- Do you want to take back control of your health and wellbeing?
- Do you want to move past your diagnosis and stop letting it define you?
- Do you want to move forwards and see lasting improvements?
As a Kinesiologist I can help you do just that, but here’s what I don’t do for starters
- I don’t operate my practice on a mentality of one solution fixes all problems
- I don’t have boxes that issues need to fit into for specific treatments
- I don’t treat, diagnose or work with named diseases, disorders or functionality
- I don’t approach your health and wellness issues and symptoms with a scatter gun approach and hope that one of them hits the mark and gets you back on track
- I don’t just look at the individual aspects of your health like nutrition, or your spine, or your muscles, or your meridian energy, or your headspace.
Kinesiology is a whole self modality that looks at the connectedness of all of these things. As a Kinesiologist I look past the diagnosis and look at the symptoms, how are they affecting you? What are they stopping you doing? What is your body trying to tell you with these symptoms?
I look at the physical, the emotional and the nutritional and chemical elements that are or could be where the issue is stemming from. When we address them at this level we’re not just putting band aids on top and pretending that the problem is not there or trying to hide the symptoms. When we get to the root cause of what your body is trying to tell you with these symptoms we can clear and balance those issues through a specific structured protocol that is determined by what YOUR body wants, and specifically needs, to get back into balance.
Kinesiology is a modality that relies on an initial partnership between the Kinesiologist and the client in a self-responsibility model of care and support to work towards your wellness goals.
Once we have an understanding and your body has an awareness of how you want to feel, look, behave or function, your body will tell us what the obstacles and issues are that are stopping you getting there.
With a suite of balancing tools and techniques we can work towards shifting, changing and breaking down those obstacles and identify what supports your body, mind and spirit needs along the way so you can keep moving forwards towards your Best Self.
So whether its a something that’s been hanging over your head impacting on your health and wellness for a long time or just a recent thing I would love to help you move closer towards your best self.
Check out this clip from
I love his energy and how he easily explains a lot of the linkages between the energetic imbalances and physical effects you can see and feel.
I really couldn’t say it any better myself. It’s just under 6 mins, and a really great holistic explanation.
The Australian Kinesiology Association has the following definition....
Kinesiology encompasses holistic health disciplines which use the gentle art of muscle monitoring to access information about a person’s well being. Originating in the 1970’s, it combines Western techniques and Eastern wisdom to promote physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health. Kinesiology identifies the elements which inhibit the body’s natural internal energies and accessing the life enhancing potential within the individual.” (Definition approved by the Australian Kinesiology Association 1999.)
Kinesiology is a non-invasive energetic healing science. Initial research began in the 1960’s when Dr. George Goodheart DC, discovered that muscle testing could be used to gather information from the body. This system was called ‘Applied Kinesiology’ and saw many chiropractors embracing Chinese medicine techniques of acupressure and meridian systems.
Kinesiology, which is a combination of ancient, eastern science and western muscle monitoring, balances the body on many levels. Its effective results come from the way it works with the body’s innate healing intelligence to restore balance and health to neurological and physiological function. Through this modality, profound changes may be experienced emotionally, mentally and physically, thereby increasing a person’s health and wellbeing. When our system is functioning well, we feel well.
Professional Kinesiology practitioners undertake years of training to be able to access the movement of energy – or what the Chinese call ‘Chi’ – throughout the body. The analogy of a bio-computer illustrates in a simple manner how this works.
Blocks or stresses prevent smooth energetic transmission, thus affecting functioning of our bio-systems, resulting in changes in energy. Muscle monitoring involves challenging the bio-feedback mechanism present in all muscles to reveal imbalances within the body. The ‘read out’, or findings, may present as physical pain, mental discomfort and the many expressions of dis-ease. These can include allergies, depression, postural problems, poor performance levels, learning and relationship difficulties, digestive and nervous disorders – whatever the presenting problem, the system is saying it is malfunctioning.
The real goal of any Kinesiology ‘balance’ is to identify the bottomline cause of any imbalance and then resolve it. It may be nutritional, emotional, structural, psychological, energetic or even spiritual – something as simple as an ‘attitude’, or a forgotten memory.
Muscle monitoring gives instant access to holistic information held by the core operating unit of the entire body-mind system – the subconscious. This normally inaccessible neural substrate holds all our memories, information about physical, emotional, mental and energetic states, and also determines our muscle tension. Accessing the bio-system, allows the Kinesiologist to quickly determine the specific strategy to best reinstate to the body’s balance.
At subtle levels, the person is already aware of what is needed to facilitate healing. What kinesiology is able to do, in a therapeutic sense, is to access that information in order to assist the natural healing process.
You can read more about it on the AKA website https://www.aka.asn.au/about-kinesiology